Saturday, November 6, 2010

Vegan Baking



Just last week was my husband's birthday and his FAVORITE dessert is lemon bars. Being vegan, its been a little difficult finding desserts that do not contain dairy. After my recent trip to Barnes and Noble, I discovered probably the best vegan cookbook of all time - Veganomicon! It has TONS of vegan recipes, not only desserts, but appetizers, soups, salads, and entrees. From American to Indian to Mexican, its all in there. They give you tips on what to have in your pantry at all times and how certain specialty foods should be stored and cooked.

Needless to say, this is where I found my amazing Lemon Bar recipe for the birthday celebration. The crust is very easy to make and the gelatin lemon layer is hard to mess up! The lemon layer requires Agar flakes, which are a type of seaweed, so when heating this portion, my kitchen smelled of seafood - a little disturbing to me at first, but I followed through! I did add to the mixture one little special ingredient which I think gave a much appreciated "lemon" boost.

The Vegan Lemon Bars were a definite hit, among, of course, the most important man of the night, and among our non-vegan friends (which tells you they were good!). And no, there's no "seaweed" taste to these as mentioned above! This new recipe has dubbed me the "Lemon Bar Lady" and I will be making this dessert for many celebrations and parties to come!

PS: Oh! And the BEST part is... regular, dairy lemon bars contain 209 calories per serving (1 lemon bar), these little babies only have 90 calories per serving! For more vegan recipes and nutritional facts visit: Livestrong.com - Veganomicon

Until next time!

xoxo nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment